Minimally invasive spine surgery
Minimally invasive spine surgery- is another name for what we know as a keyhole surgery. With the advent of this highly sophisticated technique,
spine surgery in India has never been the same.Minimally invasive spine surgery is another name for what we know as a keyhole surgery. With the advent of this highly sophisticated technique, spine surgery in India has never been the same.
Types Of Spinal Treatment -Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
Minimally invasive spine surgery
- Spinal treatments: Spinal treatments are given in the case of a slipped disc. The approach to correct the slipped disc varies from conservative to surgical methods, depending upon the extent of displacement.
• Primary course: In the preliminary stage, the back pain may subside on its own,
just by exercising or stretching with the help of a physical therapist. Taking over the counter pills might also be helpful. If the pain still persists,
the doctor may give strong muscle relaxers, pain killers or nerve pain medications.
Spine Surgery And its Types
• Surgery: When the slipped disc doesn’t improve within six weeks and begins to impact your daily routine, doctors, at last, recommend surgery.
Surgery: Minimally invasive spine surgery is the latest and most advanced technique up til now. There are many hospitals where you can avail the spine surgery in Delhi, to treat the herniated disc.
There are two types of minimally invasive spine surgery:
- Decompression surgery: This method of minimally invasive decompression surgery is used to treat discs that are less severely damaged. In this procedure,
- the surgeon removes part of the disc that has been damaged. This helps in freeing the nerve root and reducing the pain.
- Stabilization surgery: When the whole disc is diseased, stabilization surgery is performed. In this case, the entire disc would be removed and in place of that, an implant would be placed to stabilize the spine.
The procedure of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery:
The surgeon first draws a 5 mm cut in the back. Another incision of 10 cm is made to the side of the spine and a small endoscope (a small thin tube carrying a camera at the end of it) is inserted through the skin with the help of X-rays, to the damaged point.
The dissected piece of the disc is then pulled out with the help of graspers. The whole procedure takes about an hour to complete. After removing the endoscope, just a plaster is put over the incision.
So, there are no stitches. In case, a patient feels any discomfort or pain after the surgery, a small dose of paracetamol usually does the work for the next 24 hours.
The best part is you don’t need to stay overnight at the hospital. The treatment is over within an hour and the person is allowed to go home the same day.
However, rest is highly recommended. There are many hospitals which provide this advanced spine surgery in Gurgaon and in Delhi as well.
Advantages of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery:
• Small incision. The cut is tiny, as compared to 18 cm in the traditional method.
• The tissues are only shifted aside, whereas muscles are cut and spinal canal is opened in the older methods.
• Wide spectrum treatment. Can treat many disc problems like sciatica etc.
• Takes about an hour and no stitches are there.
• The success rate is same as the conventional surgery.
• Very fewer chances of infection or blood clots.
• Patients can home the very same day.
• Quicker recovery and is really low in the pocket.