Back pain is a common problem. We all come across it. Usually, it goes away on its own. In a normal case, a person would recover from the pain in a few weeks, without any treatment given. However, the best spine surgeons in India recommend that in case, it gets severe and becomes problematic, one should consider taking a break and just have some proper bed rest for a few days.
When to call the doctor?
Don’t wait too long for the back pain to disappear on itself, if it shows no improvement within a week. This is a red flag, and one should contact the doctor, as soon as possible.
Who is a Spine Specialist?
A spine specialist is a health professional who specializes mainly in treating spine conditions. There are several common specialists who fall under the category of a spine specialist. Some of them are neurosurgeons, pain management physicians, chiropractors, physiatrists, physical therapists, orthopaedic surgeons, anesthesiologists, and many rheumatologists and neurologists.
According to the Best Spine Surgeons in Gurgaon, there are other symptoms too which point to a serious problem. The red flags are:
- A constant, severe pain while lying down, or at night also.
- When the back ache is accompanied with some kind of fever
- If the pain is spreading from back to the legs, more so, extending down your knees
- If there is a swelling or redness on the back
- Loss of control of bowel or bladder along with back pain
- If the person feels weakness or any kind of numbness in one or both the legs
- If the pain is accompanied with sudden weight loss, without any change in the diet
- In case of accidents
- If there has been a history of cancer disease, and the back problem is added along
- If it has been more than a month and the pain still persists
Factors that increase the chances of back pain:
Not everybody might suffer from a severe back ache. The best spine surgeons in Delhi informed some of the most specific factors which make a person more likely to have a lingering back problem.
- Old age
- Poor Physical unfitness
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Occupational hazards, like lifting heavy weights, twisting spine while pulling or pushing etc
- Being Overweight
- In case of diseases like arthritis and cancer etc
Causes of back pain:
There are multiple types of causes that contribute to a serious back problem, states one of the best surgeons in India. This may be due to some physical factors, diseases and other medical conditions. Some of the most common factors being:
- Ruptured disks
- Muscular Spasms
- Kidney stones
Precautions to take:
Do not just refrain from all physical movements. If you stop doing any physical activity because of the pain you experience, it actually might harm you in other ways. Inactiveness might make the muscles weak and the joints will become stiff. Keeping some light activity such as walking, a little bit of stretching would be recommended to maintain the flexibility in the body.
In the preliminary stage, seeing a general physician might be enough. But the best spine surgeons in Gurgaon (Dr. Arun Saroha) advise that it is essential to get an appointment with a spine specialist when the initial treatment doesn’t help much.